Thursday, March 28, 2013

Endocrinologist Visit

  Well today I had to go to my Endocrinologist.  He is a doctor that specializes in diabetes and thyroid problem.  I have been a Type 1 diabetic (insulin dependant) since I was 15 years old.  I am also know as a "brittle diabetic", which means it does not take a lot to cause my blood sugars to swing either high or low.  I have been having a number of lows recently, so it is a good thing that I had an appointment already scheduled.  Maybe we could figure our what is going on!  I just love going to the doctor's.  NOT!  I will take you through my average day at a visit with the doc. 
 

 
The loving husband almost always goes with me to appointment.  It seems like I always have a low after a doctors visit.  It is really nice that he goes with me.  I don't have to worry about driving, doc's office is two hours away.  The way there would be no be deal, but the way home I am always exhausted. 
 
 
This is where I have to go, third floor.  Not my favorite place to be.
 


 
 
I love these glass panels in the waiting room.  I find them very relaxing and calming.  I guess I need that before going into a doctor's office.  You would think I would be use to it by now.  Weird!

 
 
 
Just an average ex room, but I love the exam table.  It electric, so you don't have to climb up on it.  I know you all probable have this in your exam rooms, but this is amazing for this small town girl.  The doctor comes in and I tell him everything that is going on.  It seems like he knows what exactly to do.  The funny part of the whole visit is the doctor trying to put all of the new information into the computer.  It took longer for him to figure out how to do that than what to do about my insulin rates.  By the time it was all in the computer, we had 2 doctors, 1 nurse and 1 physician's assistant in the exam room.  Let's just say my doctor is technology challenged.  LOL 
 
 
Another unpleasant part, having blood drawn.  I have it done so much I have a scar where they insert the needle.  I know you are saying switch arms, but I have a scar on both arms.  
 
 
All wrapped up.  The only blood work I needed to have done that day is an A1C.  It is a test that measures your average blood sugars for a 3 month period.  My doctor wants my A1C to be under 7.0.  For the last year, it has been but that number can also be very deceiving because you can have a great A1C if you have a bunch of highs and lows since it is an average.  It doesn't tell you how good of control you have over your diabetes.
 
 
Well, this is my new insulin schedule.  A little confusing isn't it?  Thank goodness I just have to put it into my insulin pump and it does all the work for me.  The doctor's thoughts were that my basal rates (the insulin that I get constantly) were to high but my bolus rates (the insulin I get when I eat something) were to low.  So we will see how that goes for 2 weeks.  At that time, I have to fax into the doc everything I have eaten and at what time and also download my pump.  There is a program on the pump manufacturer's website that lets you download all of the information off of your pump so you no longer have to keep a log book.  It is just one more thing I don't have to think about or tote around with me when I am going somewhere.  Believe me I have to take enough the way it is! 
 
  Well that was my exciting day at the Endocrinologist's  office.  Pretty exciting I know.  Ha ha!  Just thought i would put out a little information about my crazy health issues. 
 
Love to all,    Sara

No comments :

Post a Comment